What is an eBook?
From Library of Congress: Link written by J. Cheyenne Hohman, University of Kentucky*
An e-book (also referred to as an electronic book, ebook or digital book) is a text that can be viewed and/or downloaded onto a computer or other digital device. E-books cover a wide range of genres and subjects. Though many e-books are currently available in both digital and conventional paper formats, some are created strictly in digital format. Conversely, some conventional paper books do not exist in digital format, because of the book's copyright status, or the preferences of the book's publisher or author.
CCPS Library Services Mission Statement
The mission of the Chesterfield County Public School libraries is to empower students and staff through the direction and guidance of certified school librarians to become critical thinkers, enthusiastic readers, skillful researchers and ethical users/creators of information in support of student achievement in a global environment.
What Makes a School Library GREAT
Student success is at the core of the library mission.
- The librarian works creatively to implement that vision with every tool available.
- The librarian works with administration to coordinate the library mission with the school's.
- The librarian uses information resources to support faculty in the cooperative effort to build student success, again using every tool available.
- A positive attitude pervades everything about the library collection and program, an attitude that supports student achievement.
Every single study out there has shown that having a librarian in the school increases academic performance and standardized test scores. Why are we not putting MORE librarians in the schools rather than less? (Huffington Post, August 26, 2013)
Happenings in CCPS Libraries
CLMS Mission and Vision
Central Library Services
- assisting School Librarians in integrating library resources and services into the curriculum and programs by helping align library resources and services for digital age literacy
- providing information resources and services for School Librarians; increasing awareness for library resources and services for administrators
- facilitating improvement of library facilities and working with school librarians to manage physical collections to use space more efficiently and plan for future needs
- collaborating with external partners and vendors to provide better services for school libraries
- managing and updating library software
Library System Administrator
Responsible for the overall management and operation of the centralized integrated library automation system and technical services office. Trains library staff on the system and acts as the central help desk for users. Site Administrator for the Central Library Media Services pages in CCPSPortal, and the CCPS LIbrary Catalog. Serves as primary point for all library staff concerning access issues with online databases.
Curriculum and Instruction